Another chance to go SOLAR with Solarize Pendleton!
Install solar panels and experience savings through the roof!
Did you know that Pendleton, Oregon has the most solar installations, per capita, in the Northwestern United States?
That’s a pretty big accomplishment for a small, rural community. That’s just how we’ve always done things here in the real west. We’re still staying true to the Pendleton legacy of independent spirit and continuing to pioneer innovation.
The City of Pendleton is prepared to launch the third phase of its low-cost, no interest solar loan program so that homeowners and businesses in Pendleton can go solar hassle-free and soak up some savings from the sun.
The goal of this program is simplicity. How can we make going solar as affordable as possible for our community?
This year we have opened our loan program to all certified Energy Trust solar installers. If you are unsure your home is right for solar, don’t worry because your free site assessment from a solar contractor will help you figure that out.
All you need to do is contact a certified contractor, and they will guide you from there.
Solarize Pendleton, Step by Step
1. Residents get information from free workshops hosted by local contractors and information available at the building desk in City Hall.
2. Next is your free solar site assessment from your choice of Energy Trust Certified solar contractor. This will teach you a lot including how big a system you can get and what different options will cost.
3. If you are interested in an interest-free solar loan through the City of Pendleton, you submit a 2012 Solarize Pendleton Loan Application. You may download and fill out the application or you can fill one out at City Hall in the Planning and Building Department.
4. Each participant decides whether or not to commit to solar.
5. Each participant who decides to commit signs their contract with the solar contractor. They will then coordinate permits, equipment purchases, the installation schedule, and inspections.
6. Your system is installed!
7. Start enjoying your new solar energy!
8. Everyone gets the appropriate signatures needed and the right paper for the State and Federal Tax Credits.
Solarize Pendleton is based on incentives and tax credits to lower the overall cost of a residential solar system by up to 80 percent. This program represents a community effort to reduce the cost of solar for everyone in Pendleton. So get out there and get the solar buzz going!
City of Pendleton Solar Loan Overview
The City of Pendleton is offering zero-interest loans of $9,000 each to help residents of Pendleton finance the installation of solar electric systems through the Solarize Pendleton program. These loans are intended to cover a large portion of the upfront cost that will be returned to homeowners through tax credits during the years following installation. The City will borrow money from the sewer rate stabilization fund for the program, with the community development fund paying the interest.
Loans are still available and will be issued on a first come, first serve basis. Before submitting your loan application, you must register for a free, no obligation solar site assessment by contacting one of the certified contractors.
The zero-interest loans will be repaid over a four-year period, with the first payment due May 25, 2013. The repayment structure is as follows:
May 25, 2013 $4,500
May 25, 2014 $1,500
May 25, 2015 $1,500
May 25, 2016 $1,500
The repayment schedule and amounts are based on the estimated receipt of tax credits by a homeowner with the available tax liability for each year for each year following the installation. If the entire $9,000 is not needed, the final payment will be adjusted down.
Your loan check of $9,000 will be issued jointly to the homeowner and contractor to go towards the cost of your solar installation.
The loan will be secured through a voluntary lien placed on the homeowner’s property for the duration of the loan. This is a non-transferable lien.
Complete the 2012 Solarize Pendleton Loan Application and return to Pendleton City Hall to apply for a loan.
Solarize Pendleton is a program spearheaded by the City of Pendleton in collaboration with Solar Oregon, the Energy Trust of Oregon, and SolarNow! to help the residents of Pendleton, Oregon overcome the logistical and financial obstacles of going solar. Contact: Hilary.Lovelace@ci.pendleton.or.us, 541.966.0248.