ABB’s Variable Frequency Drive can run 3 phase motors directly off solar and Hire Electric has the 1st one in the US. I blogged about ABB’s Solar Drives in India back in February. After that blog post ABB’s USA Drive Group contacted Hire to see if we would be interested in installing one of their drives as part of a BETA test group. Last week the drive arrived and today our BETA customer, with the help of Schroder Well Drilling, changed out their single phase well pump with a 3 phase pump and we got the drive running on 240V, single phase AC power: 210′ deep well, 7.4A draw, 24gpm output. The next step will be finishing the solar array and running some tests on the 1.5hp, 3 phase motor running directly off sunbeams.
We’re extremely excited about the potential for this product for several reasons:
- As net metering caps are met in more and more utility districts, having ways that customers can transfer load to solar power without interconnecting with the utility will be increasingly important.
- Off grid customers have been forced to use extremely expensive and underperforming pumping options – or their diesel generator to access water.
- Irrigators and stock waterers can open up land that is too far away from utility service.
- Water security during power outages is high on most peoples preparedness plan.
- Potential for micro-pumped-storage applications
You can read more about the product here: ABB Solar Drive Flier
— Hire Electric Solar (@hireelectric) October 11, 2014